For those who follow OC’s political blogs and read the comments, you got a treat last week.
The blogger who writes the “Tito Watch” column about Huntington Beach’s Mayor Pro Tem Tito Ortiz penned a remarkable column entitled, “The Worst-Kept Secret in Liberal Orange County.”
The column chronicles bad behavior from OC’s political bloggers targeting primarily the Orange Juice Blog’s publisher and editor-in-chief Vern Nelson.
I posted it last week in our comments section too. Oh, and I don’t escape unscathed either, but more on that in a second.
OJ’s managing editor Greg Diamond wrote what I’d call a remarkable post in the sense that he’s made up most of his “facts” and has entered conspiracy realms occupied by QAnon types. Here’s that link: http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/2021/05/an-editorial-note-on-comment-deletion/ Just remember, they delete negative comments over there.
Here’s what we’ve learned about the journalism ethics of our friends at OJ Blog.
- They don’t know who the author of the “Tito Watch” columns happens to be but they have no trouble publishing the posts. How can you ethically publish anything without knowing who’s writing and without knowing if what they have written is true?
- Diamond is convinced the author of the initial column isn’t the author of the Tito Watch columns, but someone pretending to be her or him. In a comment he says: “Misrepresenting a document as being from someone else would be highly offensive, in a moral way.” So are most of his made up claims.
- The original post has links to everything backing up the author’s statements in the piece.
- Nelson says: “The best part of that piece about bad behavior in liberal-male OC is the part that Dan C doesn’t want you to see: “Liberal OC blogger Dan Chmielewski has been harshly critical of discriminatory and sexual misconduct by fellow liberals, leftists, and Democrats, but this appears to be a classic case of pot-and-kettle finger-pointing. He was recently called out by Melissa Fox for an extremely misogynistic and racist comment directed at Irvine Vice Mayor Tammy Kim, after criticizing her anti-Asian hate resolution for failing to include old white men like himself…” Followed by a copy of the screen grab from one of two Melissa Fox Twitter accounts most likely written by her husband Michael who has scores to settle with TheLiberalOC over “John Scott Horner III,” his theft of the Democrats of Greater Irvine Facebook page which he returned eventually (the administrator said the list of blocked Irvine Democrats looked like a “digital graveyard of prominent Irvine Democrats”…not exactly a way to win friends or elections, and frequent reminders that her vote on the city council is the reason why there’s no Veteran’s Cemetery in Irvine. I do not care what Melissa or Michael Fox have to say about me, and the unnamed quote in the original column that reads: “…Another OC Democrat confirmed, ‘I’ve personally witnessed him yell at, harass, belittle, and dismiss women so many times I’ve lost count. This man’s outdated misogynistic and racist views have no place in our party,” is Jorge Gavino, the Vice Chair of the Board of Hermanos Unidos. Based on Jorge’s LinkedIn profile, I’m not sure how, when or where he could have witnessed me doing anything because he didn’t seem to be in OC pre-pandemic a lot. I don’t know him. Don’t recall meeting him. And that said, I’ll invite him to say where and when and who he saw me behave in such a manner. But he’s an anti-Rusty Hicks guy and I’ll guess one of those Bernie Bros still upset about 2016. For the author of the piece, it wasn’t hard to verify who wrote that quote; you should have attributed it.
- What Vern leaves out of the preamble here was the introduction to my “negative” part of this column: Liberal OC blogger Dan Chmielewski has been harshly critical of discriminatory and sexual misconduct by fellow liberals, leftists, and Democrats. I sure have from Julio Perez, to Eric Taylor and to Vern Nelson himself. I’ll let Vern (or Melissa/Michael Fox for that matter) explain to me how my comment to Irvine Vice Mayor Tammy Kim asking her to help human trafficked Asian Immigrant women working in OC Massage parlors be protected is racist or sexist. I’ll wait.
- Vern thinks that’s the best part? Oh no. Not even close. It’s his wife’s voice mail call, with a male voice (likely Vern) prompting her to apologize to someone for her husband’s Twitter behavior and actions, referencing that he’s drinking again. Go listen to it. Listen for that male voice prompting her. Verm, get help man.
- The next best part are all the screen grabs of the Orange Juice Blog’s Twitter feed which Vern denies writing (so then it was his wife? They were the only two with access to that feed). Probably not a good idea for people who don’t know how to use Twitter to insult people on Twitter or beg readers to block Vern because he’;s drinking. The part that made me spit out my coffee was the line, presumably from Vern’s wife, about Vern (a-hem) “pleasuring himself” in his wife’s bathroom to photos of other women and then denying he wrote every Tweet. Vern should look for work at an HB bait shop; bet he’d be a master at it.
- Diamond suggested I somehow “hunted Tito Watch down, fed them his brew of distortions (about Vern, me and others), and that they then stormed off horrified – without even asking us for our side. At a minimum, that’s how it was depicted.” None of this is true. I don’t know who TW is and I have better things to do than go out of my way to trash the OJ guys, but Greg’s post warranted this response.
After I read the original piece, I posted a couple of comments to the OJ Blog blog under my name and email address with the link of the story. Greg think’s its someone who knows my email address (yep, me idiot). The more salacious comments Greg reposted which were deleted are not mine and I take great humor knowing the pair who whine about not being able to post on my site have blocked me from posting on theirs.