WESTMINSTER, CA — Reflecting his commitment to defending women’s rights and access to healthcare, today Westminster City Councilmember Sergio Contreras secured the endorsement of the Community Action Fund of Planned Parenthood of Orange and San Bernardino Counties in the race for Orange County’s 1st District on the Board of Supervisors.
In a letter sent to the campaign announcing their endorsement, OC & SB Counties Planned Parenthood Senior Vice-President of Public Affairs Robert Armenta Jr. remarked:
“On behalf of the Board of Directors of the Community Action Fund of Planned Parenthood of Orange and San Bernardino Counties, I am pleased to inform you that you have received our endorsement for Orange County Supervisor, District 1. This endorsement is based on your 100% pro-choice responses to our candidate questionnaire and your continued support of reproductive rights. We look forward to helping you ensure victory.”
Previously Councilmember Sergio Contreras announced the following endorsements:
- SEIU – USWW
- AFSCME Local 1734
- National Union of Healthcare Workers
- United Union of Roofers, Waterproofers & Allied Workers Local 220
- Painters & Allied Trades District Council 36
- UNITE HERE Local 11
- U.S. Congressman Alan Lowenthal
- U.S. Congresswoman Loretta Sanchez (Ret.)
- California State Assemblymember Sharon Quirk-Silva
- Garden Grove School Board Trustee Walter Muneton
- Garden Grove School Board Trustee Teri Rocco
- Garden Grove Councilmember Kris Beard (Ret.)
- Westminster School Boardmember Jamison Power
- Westminster School Boardmember Amy Walsh (Ret.)
- Costa Mesa Mayor Katrina Foley
- Costa Mesa Councilman Manuel Chavez
- Rancho Community College Trustee Lawrence Labrado
- Santa Ana Unified School District President Valerie Amezcua
- Santa Ana Councilmember Sal Tinajero (Ret.)
- Santa Ana School Board Trustee Alfonso Alvarez
- Anaheim Elementary School Boardmember Juan Gabriel Alvarez
- Anaheim Elementary School Boardmember Ryan Ruelas
- Anaheim Elementary School Boardmember Dr. Jose Pablo Magcalas
- Anaheim Elementary School Boardmember D.R. Heywood (Ret.)
- Anaheim Union High School District Clerk of the Board, Annemarie Randle-Trejo
- Huntington Beach Union High School District Trustee Duane Dishno
- Fullerton School Boardmember Aaruni Thakur
- Oceanview School District Vice President Gina Clayton-Tarvin
- Midway City Sanitary District Director Margie L. Rice
The first Supervisorial District includes the cities of Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Westminster, the unincorporated community of Midway City, and parts of Fountain Valley. The first Supervisorial District is 42% Democratic and 24% Republican by registration – making it one of the most flippable major local offices in California.
Sergio Contreras, a husband, father, homeowner, and registered Democrat, has served on the Westminster City Council since 2012, where he successfully championed the largest upgrade to Westminster’s park system since 1996, encompassing 22 park facilities and representing a $10.4 million investment in the community. Contreras oversaw the city’s first general plan update in decades. He also placed emergency call boxes in all Westminster parks to enhance public safety, and fought to place outdoor exercise equipment in local parks to improve public health.
Contreras previously served on the Westminster School Board from 2004 to 2012, including serving as president of the board in 2012. On the School Board, Contreras helped pass a $130 million school bond to modernize Westminster’s school facilities and make them safer. In that role, he established an all-day kindergarten system, making Westminster School District the first in Orange County to provide day-long kindergarten at all school sites. Contreras also increased access to music and arts programs districtwide, while expanding after-school programs.
Now, Contreras works as the Senior Director of Education and Healthy Schools for the Orange County United Way where he creates strategic community partnerships to empower students from disadvantaged socio-economic backgrounds. Contreras lives in Westminster with his wife Adriana, where their children Sergio III and Chloe attend local schools.
For more information visit: https://www.sergiocontrerasforsupervisor.com