This press release hit the email box on Friday afternoon and it’s related to the planned protest of UNITEHERE 11’s contract negotiations with two hotels in the Anaheim Resort District. Both contracts were agreed to with less what the Union asked for but union workers do come away with better pay and benefits. New OC District Attorney Todd Spitzer has filed charges against the 21 protesters arrested with include DPOC chair Ada Briceno, DPOC North Vice chair Jeff LeTourneau and Anaheim Councilmember Jose Moreno.
Sources tell TheLiberalOC one hotel had already agreed in principle on the new deal while the second contract was delayed because of this stunt. The likely punishment in this case is probably community service and a possible fine.
Here’s the press release:
SANTA ANA, Calif. – Twenty-one protestors were charged today with loitering in a public passageway for blocking traffic in Anaheim. On Jan. 24, 2019, they were arrested for standing in the intersection of Harbor Boulevard and Katella Avenue and refusing to leave when ordered by the Anaheim Police Department. They are scheduled to be arraigned on April 19, 2019, at 8:30 a.m. in Department N-8, North Justice Center, Fullerton.
“As the District Attorney, I respect the right to protest, but all of us are required to do it in a lawful manner,” said Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer. “The right to protest is afforded to everyone; exercising that right does not allow anyone to break the law and bring traffic to a complete standstill.”
The intersection of Harbor Boulevard and Katella Avenue is one of the busiest intersections in the Anaheim Resort District with nearly 40,000 vehicles traveling through the intersection daily.
The following defendants each face one misdemeanor count of unlawful loitering upon public passageway so as to obstruct free passage (Anaheim Municipal Code section 7.28.010), and one misdemeanor count of conspiracy to violate AMC section 7.28.010:
- Irene Elizabeth Arellano, 29, Anaheim
- Matthew Ross Bell, 43, Garden Grove
- Ada Francis Briceno, 46, Stanton
- Lori Anne Elizabeth Condinus, 54, Hawthorne
- Abigail Espinosa, 26, Anaheim
- Jaime Gomez, 29, Costa Mesa
- Andrew R Hausermann, 31, Long Beach
- Margarita Hernandez Hernandez, 47, Anaheim
- Emma Rebekah Jensen, 37, San Clemente
- Jeffrey Brian LeTourneau, 62, Brea
- Martin Gerardo Lopez, 53, Anaheim
- Jesus Herera Manjarrez, 66, Anaheim
- Joseph Savoy McLaughlin, 55, Irvine
- Susan Michi Minato, 57, Los Angeles
- Jose Frank Moreno, 49, Anaheim
- Caroline Phuong Bich Nguyen, 28, Fullerton
- Manuel Otilio Ortiz, 59, Garden Grove
- Maria Guadalupe Ortiz, 58, Garden Grove
- Kurt Patrick Petersen, 53, Los Angeles
- Tim Phan, 29, Whittier
- Ana Maria Rodriguez, 47, Buena Park
Deputy District Attorney Matthew Plunkett of the Special Prosecutions Unit is prosecuting this case.