FULLERTON, CA – Today, Representative Gilbert R. Cisneros, Jr. (CA-39) condemned conservative groups for sending fake U.S. Census questionnaires. Their census scam targeted residents in California’s 39th District and across the country.
“It’s extremely disappointing that this scam is seeking to take advantage of our constitutionally mandated census. Not only does this throw confusion into the census process, but it also jeopardizes a fair and accurate count.
“Instead of sending fake census questionnaires, we should all be working together to ensure that every person is counted. For the 39th District and for districts across the country, it’s especially important for us to properly reach out to communities that are historically undercounted in the census, like the Hispanic, Asian American Pacific Islander, and Black communities. We have to make sure that we do this right, or else an unfair and inaccurate count can have detrimental consequences for families, students, and business owners for the next decade,” said Rep. Cisneros.
On January 17, Rep. Cisneros hosted a town hall with California Secretary of State Alex Padilla to talk about the 2020 Census and Vote Centers.
For tips about how to avoid fraud and scams with the census, click here.
To verify a Census Bureau Survey, Mailing, or Contact, click here.
- March 12 – 20: Households will begin receiving official Census Bureau mail with detailed information on how to respond to the 2020 Census online, by phone, or by mail.
- March 30 – April 1: The Census Bureau will count people who are experiencing homelessness over these three days.
- April 1: Census Day is observed nationwide. By this date, every home will receive an invitation to participate in the 2020 Census. Once the invitation arrives, you should respond for your home in one of three ways: online, by phone, or by mail. When you respond to the census, you’ll tell the Census Bureau where you live as of April 1, 2020.
Additional census information:
- For a guide to completing the 2020 Census, click here.
- The 2020 Census is hiring thousands of workers. For more info and to apply, click here.
- For more information about the census, click here.